Employment Law for Managers – Part 2
Try it for free!
We respect your privacy and won’t share your information with outside parties. View our privacy statement.
At a glance
The employment life cycle is a key to organizational success. However, there are many areas where managers could make a mistake, or a decision based on personal preferences or bias, leading to potentially unfair or illegal employment decisions.
Employment Law for Managers – Part 2 guides managers through the stages of interviewing and hiring, performance management and termination of employment. Managers will learn how to keep employment decisions legal and to identify potential pitfalls in employment life cycle management. Real-life scenarios and exercises reinforce key learning points.
Managers who understand the legal requirements of the employment life cycle are in the best position to ensure positive opportunities for recruits, employees and organizations.
Key concepts covered in this course:
- Best practices for creating a diverse candidate pool
- Recruiting without regard to protected characteristics
- Guidelines for obtaining information legally
- Best practices for preparing interviews
- Handling sensitive disclosures
- Examples of appropriate and inappropriate interview questions
- Best practices for managing performance and setting employee goals and expectations
- The importance of regular feedback and accountability
- Guidance for preparing performance conversations and keeping records
- Best practices for maintaining respect and professionalism in performance management
- The importance of reason and rationale in termination decisions
- Best practices for reviewing termination decisions for fairness and consistency
- Key guidelines for handling a dismissal meeting