Employment Law for Managers – Part 1
Try it for free!
At a glance
Being a manager is more than just a job title – it’s a responsibility. Organizations trust managers to uphold policies, support employees and set an example for everyone to follow. To effectively carry out these responsibilities, managers need to know certain legal basics.
Employment Law for Managers – Part 1 provides essential guidance on discrimination and harassment, wage and hour law, FMLA and workplace safety. Managers will learn the foundations and engage with real-world scenarios and interactive exercises to reinforce fundamentals.
Effective management means guiding employees, as well as anticipating and spotting issues in the workplace – and that starts with understanding important workplace regulations.
Key concepts covered in this course:
- Definitions of “discrimination” and “harassment”
- A description of protected characteristics
- Examples of discrimination and harassment
- The role of workplace accommodations in a discrimination-free workplace
- Exempt vs. non-exempt employees
- A definition and examples of “work time”
- Guidance on overtime and off-the-clock work
- Important considerations for rest and meal periods
- FMLA basics, including employee eligibility requirements
- Definition and examples of “serious health condition”
- Employee responsibilities under the FMLA
- Best practices for protecting employee privacy
- Consequences of unsafe workplace conditions
- Best practices for maintaining a safe workplace
- Examples of workplace violence